Monday, November 11, 2013

What if God Doesn't?

My mom and I walked up to the tens of women standing in line outside of the civic center getting ready to enter one of the largest craft shows in our area.  I honestly just went to the show to spend some quality time with my mom since we hadn't had a lot of time together while also hoping to snag a few items to take home.  As we entered the area where the craft vendors were I was amazed.  Seriously.  There were Christmas decorations everywhere, people were wearing festive headbands, hats and aprons. I was overloaded with red, green, silver, gold and whatever other colors the vendors decided to tie into their holiday theme.  The Christmas music was playing a little loud but the voices of the hundreds of women and husbands who were forced to tag-along absorbed the sound of  Santa Clause is Coming to Town.  My focus was completely on what I was going to get out of this excursion.  I hoped maybe to get some stocking stuffers and taste some good food while staying within my budget and having a good time with my momma. 

   Picture of my mom a "few" years ago

Needless to say, God had an unexpected addition to my plans.

My mom and I walked up to a booth that sold beautiful but expensive jewelry.  I just looked around while my mom started talking with one of the ladies working.  I didn't know what they talked about until after we stepped away from the booth and my mom said, "Did you hear what we were talking about? She shared with me she had stage 4 colon cancer."  My heart started beating really hard.  My mom told her she would pray for her.  We then stepped around the corner to the next booth but my heart still kept beating rapidly.  Then God and I began a dialogue.  

"Go pray for her."

"But God, she is working and there are tons of people standing around her booth."

"Go pray for her."

"Ok, I will just wait for the perfect moment, when she isn't busy."

"Go pray for her."

"God I'm scared.  What if it doesn't work?"

"Go pray for her."

"Really?"

"This isn't about you Robin. It's for her. Go pray for her."

All of a sudden this compassion invaded me and I began to cry as I walked over to her.  I felt like I was moving through mud but I finally made it to her.  I looked at her and said, "I have to lay hands on you and pray for you.  I believe God wants to heal you."  She said Ok.  I still had my insecurities so I turned her towards the back of the booth thinking if I didn't see everyone they wouldn't see me praying, even though there had to have been 15-20 people either walking by or looking at the jewelry in her booth or wanting to talk to her.  I prayed over her, believing in the healing power of the Lord to heal and root out the cancer in her body.  She opened her eyes and said I can feel something in my body.  I cannot remember exactly what I said but it was something along the lines that Jesus is in love with her and in pursuit of her.  

I walked away from that encounter without a concern of who had just seen me.  I actually can't remember if anyone was looking at me.  I went to catch up with my mom and then we enjoyed the rest of the day at the craft show.

The truth is I have been asking the Lord for more opportunities to really see the heart of people not just at church or on a missions trip but out in the community.  Everyday I want an opportunity to give Jesus away to someone.  I want to be more aware of the needs of others no matter where I am.  I love how Jesus was moved with compassion in Matthew 14:14, "When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick."  Wouldn't it be amazing if believers were always mindful of the hearts of those around them?  Tears are in my eyes as I write this.  There are so many wounded, broken, hurting people wherever we are and I'm asking the Lord to help me, to help us as believers, be more aware of when the Holy Spirit says, "Take my love to that one."  

I no longer want to be afraid of "What if God doesn't?"  Someone's eternity matters more than my momentary insecurities.  Someone's encounter with Jesus matters more than my fears.  Let's all become more aware of what Jesus is doing wherever we are.      

Here's my prayer:
Jesus, open our eyes.  Help us to see through your heart, to be mindful of the hurts and the needs of others.  Lord we want to be like you!  We want to be your hands, your feet and your mouthpiece.  We, Lord, want to understand your love so we can give your love away to those who have never experienced you!  Jesus, your name is above all!  Let everything we do be to point people to you!  In your powerful, amazing name we pray, AMEN! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment