Monday, November 18, 2013

PART THREE: Little Miracle Man - The Day of the Accident

I remember getting into the passenger seat of one of the EMT’s cars. The radio was on so without a thought I reached over and turned the radio off and started praying again.  The EMT finally got in the driver’s seat.  I know we spoke but I can’t recall what the conversation was about.  It was like my whole being remained in a state of prayer and faith.  I kept telling my mind, will and emotions,  "I know God. He is good."  I could feel those words shutting down any fear or doubt that started to rise. 
Josh, our oldest son, went over to a friend’s house and Nate went back to our house, got our car and a pair of shoes for me since I was still barefott, and drove to the hospital.  I ended up praying in the EMT's car the entire time as we drove to the hospital.  I could tell the EMT was uncomfortable.  He understood the gravity of the situation.  What can he say? 
When we got to the hospital, I was ushered into a small waiting room.  I was there by myself and I began to pray.  As I prayed, I shook from the inside… my body was quaking.  I didn’t cry or break down at the hospital but I felt this confidence that was deep in me battling with the emotions that wanted to swallow me whole.  As I kept praying the confidence was just there, inside of me, strengthening my resolve, keeping me centered on the Lord and enveloping me with a supernatural faith that I could not muster in the natural. 
Nate, his family and my mom came into the room.  I still hadn’t seen Elisha.  I asked Nate how my baby was doing.  He told me Elisha had a bad injury to his head and had a compound fracture on his left leg but all of his other organs were stable.  I know there are parents out there wondering why I didn’t go back to see Elisha and I believe it was because the Lord was building my faith up, equipping me for what we were dealing with before I saw it with my eyes. I trusted Nate, the doctors and the Lord to take care of our little man. 
The police chaplain came into the room with a serious look on his face.  At that point, I wanted people to have the same assurance I had.  I didn’t want anyone to feel like they had to placate me with whatever universal jargon they are supposed to say to someone who is facing that kind of crisis.  So when the chaplain asked me how I was doing, I started with how I believed in a miracle-working, powerful, loving God, who I knew had His hand on Elisha’s life since before he was born.  I told the chaplain how I have prayed God’s Word over my children since they were in my womb.  No matter what the doctor’s said or how I felt I told the chaplain I knew God was going to do something big in Elisha.  The chaplain was actually amazing.  Whatever preconceived idea I had about what he would say, well, I was wrong.  The chaplain completely affirmed my faith and began to pray for our family and Elisha with the same faith my husband and I were standing in. 
A nurse with a tender smile came into the room and said, “You are going to want to see Elisha before he gets on the helicopter.”  They were going to fly Elisha to the hospital at UVA because he was stable.  At that point, I agreed.  I ran out to the helipad.  It was dark and hazy from drizzle.  It was almost movie-like with the weather the way it was.  I saw the pilot, nurses, EMTs and a stretcher with my little baby boy laying on it, completely still.  His head and neck were secure with a neck brace and he had big straps wrapped around him holding him to the stretcher.  I had wished those straps could have been my arms, holding my baby, soothing away the pain in his little body.  I stepped closer to the stretcher and I could see Elisha’s sweet little face.  It should have been difficult to see him clearly because there wasn’t a lot of light but my tunnel vision kicked in again.  I couldn’t hear anyone else around me, I just looked at Elisha.  I could see his sweet little nose, the dimple in his chin, his precious eyes were shut, he had dried blood on the right side of his face but he looked peaceful.  I didn't know where to touch him without hurting him. I decided to lay my hand on his shoulder and told him, “Baby, you are going to be ok.  I love you!  Jesus is with you and He loves you so much!”  I kissed his cheek and walked away.


No comments:

Post a Comment