Wednesday, November 20, 2013

PART FOUR: The Day of the Accident



Nate decided to ride in the helicopter with Elisha to the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville VA.  I ended up driving my mom and step-dad in my car to Charlottesville.  I felt like if I drove I could control something.  I remember I began to pray and sing songs to the Lord.  I didn’t want to talk about how I felt or what happened to Elisha so my mom and stepdad, Vick, respected the quiet I needed in the car to talk with the Lord.  Once I made it to the highway I was very conscious of putting the car in cruise control.  At that point, I began praising the Lord out loud.  I was singing a very old school song, How Great Thou Art.  That’s weird because I wouldn’t consider myself “old school” but for some reason that song came to mind.  I then began telling the Lord that I was boldly coming before Him like Moses did and I reminded Him of His Word.I told the Lord the scriptures I had spoken over Elisha since I found out I was pregnant with him more than twelve years ago:


Jeremiah 1:5

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew[a] you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”



Psalm 139:14-16 (The Message has the best paraphrase)

13-16 Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
    I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
    before I’d even lived one day.





Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I prayed, "Lord, you said your Word does not return void but will accomplish what you say it will.  I believe that promise from your Word."



As I was quoting those scriptures back to the Lord I asked Him to heal Elisha based on the promises I have prayed over him since he was in my womb.  I didn’t want my emotions to manipulate God but the God I know wants us to boldly come before Him with our requests, believing in faith He will.  I prayed and felt the Lord say, “You got it.” Elisha would be healed.  The assurance I felt at the scene of the accident seemed to permeate my entire body.  An overwhelming peace embraced me.  In that moment, doubt couldn’t take hold of me, I just knew God was going to heal Elisha completely.  I felt it all the way to my bones.  The Lord gave me faith, not just optimism, and a peace that I knew came from the throne of God.  The Lord had this entire situation in His hands and that little boy was going to be whole. 


Vick and my mom dropped me off at the emergency room entrance and they both left to go park the car.  As I walked in I saw Nate.  We hugged each other and the first thing I said to him was, “Baby, I have a peace about this.  God is going to heal that little man!”  Nate looked me straight in the eyes and said he felt the same way.  He said, “I prayed the entire way here.  As I was praying, I was able to look out over the land we passed and thought to myself that if God could create this world he certainly can heal Elisha.  If God created Elisha’s brain then He can and will heal it.” He and I have both wondered if we felt that peace at the exact moment, him while he was in the air and me while I was driving.  We both knew Jesus was going to powerfully, demonstrate Himself through the journey we were about to embark on.

No comments:

Post a Comment