Thursday, December 19, 2013

Little Miracle Man - Elisha Moved

We had heard churches around the world were praying for Elisha.  Churches in Africa, Austrailia, Romania, China, Cambodia, Europe, and people in almost every state in America were praying for our little miracle man.  The local news had been covering our story but we didn't have much news.  Elisha wasn't responding, he was in a coma and we were just in waiting mode. If Elisha made any type of response it wasn't good.  When a brain trauma occurs the body postures.  There are a few levels of posturing and the doctors told us his posturing was the worst type.  His arms and legs would lock out and his hands would bend at the wrist.  My husband said Elisha's posturing looked like the Heisman pose, like Elisha was stiff arming someone.  However it looked, it wasn't good.  

All the news we kept hearing was bad news.  Even though I had faith, the constant, realistic, daily medical diagnosis would be like a punch in the gut.  Every person I spoke with would ask me, "What are the doctor's saying?"  Well, nothing.  Elisha was doing nothing which meant it looked bad. 

6 am the morning after the visit from all the doctors and the neurosurgeon, the visit when I told them faith is bigger than what I hear, see and feel, I walked into Elisha's room.  One of the traveling nurses was in there and so was one of the neuro residents.  I hadn't spoken to this particular resident before.  I greeted him quietly because we were trying not to stimulate Elisha with any loud noises and bright lights.  The room was dim with only a small light on in the corner. The doctor's greeting was curt.  He looked at me with no emotion and said, "You need to hear this, your son is going to be like this for a long time if not for the rest of his life.  He isn't going to move, he will be on a ventilator, he is going to need a tracheotomy and he will need a feeding tube."  I didn't say anything in response, I just looked at him and stopped breathing.  He turned away and walked out of the room. I stood there looking at the door he had just exited in a state of shock.  What in the world had just happened?  This doctor wasn't like any other doctor we had encountered up to that point.  He had not one ounce of compassion or concern in his approach.  I took a breath as the nurse who was standing at her desk turned to walk over to me.  With tears in her eyes she said, "I'm so sorry. He should not have said what he said to you nor should he have said it in the tone he said it in."  I could feel tears welling up in my own eyes because it felt like the doctor wanted to hurt me with his words.  The nurse said, "It is not our job as medical professionals to rob people of their hope.  I am not a religious person, Robin, but I have seen more of the power of God in the hospitals I have worked in than I have in any church."  It was like cold water was splashed on my face.  God was using this "not-a-religious-nurse" to speak to my spirit and to remind me God was greater.  All I said was, "Thank you."

The nurse began to do Elisha's mouth care while I sat down on the bench in the room and watched.  I saw something while she was cleaning his mouth that I thought was movement.  The nurse stopped and looked at me and said, "Did you see that?"  I thought I had but I stood up and moved closer to the bed while she continued to brush Elisha's teeth.  Elisha moved.  He pulled his mouth away from the toothbrush.  Elisha moved!  

The nurse said, "I hope you don't mind me saying this and please don't be offended but I believe that was Elisha giving that doctor the middle finger."  I understood that was her way of lightening up the mood and processing her own shock.  I laughed so hard.  I needed to laugh. Finally, there was hope we could see.    

     



No comments:

Post a Comment